I am pleased to accept this opportunity to critique the SAIC portal (go.artic.edu). My most significant grievances are as follows:
- When you compose an e-mail, you should be able to conveniently access a school-wide address book. Since e-mail addresses don't follow a simple formula (e.g., firstinitiallastname@saic.edu), I often start composing an e-mail to someone through the portal and then realize that I don't have that person's address, and I have to hunt for it somewhere else. Faculty addresses can be found on saic.edu, but where do you get student addresses if you'd like to e-mail someone who isn't in one of your classes? What if you meet someone at a school-sponsored social event or computer lab or something, exchange names, and later want to e-mail that person to hang out again--how do you get in touch? Does the school not want us to be friends with anyone outside our classes?
- Also regarding e-mail addresses: Why don't they let you see the address of the person you're e-mailing when you choose names from a class list? I don't understand why it's some big secret. It makes it even harder to memorize people's addresses that they won't let us access through an address book.
- One more e-mail thing: You shouldn't have to manually check a box to save an individual message to your Sent Items folder. All messages should be saved automatically. Who wouldn't want a record of what they sent?
- The personal announcements are not noticeable on the Home tab. These announcements should be routed through e-mail so people will actually receive them. The first time a professor posted a personal announcement for everyone in the class last semester, not one student saw it.
- When posting to message boards for our classes, we should be able to save drafts. I've lost a few posts after pressing the "Post" button only to discover I had been logged out.
- As the leader of a student group, I find the "Groups" section ineffective as a communication tool. If I post announcements or make updates to the group page, no one in the group is notified, and I know no one ever goes to the group page after joining it the first time. I use a blog through Blogger and e-mail instead.
- The fonts look very outdated. Come on, this is an art school.
I grudgingly admit that the portal is not totally awful. A few high points include:
- It is easy to access and use library resources from the portal.
- The job board is nice.
- I've never really investigated the "Customize Me" tab--maybe it would help improve my portal experience to move things around a little bit.
- The events calendar is comprehensive and makes it easy to quickly find out what's going on at school.
- I enjoy the slideshow of featured SAIC art on the Home tab.
yeah, I kind of feel bad for so harshly criticizing the site, without ever trying the customize option, but i've clicked on it and even figuring that out annoyed me with its heavy text explanation so i gave up.
ReplyDeletegood points about the site, caitlin. e-mail issues are a pretty common complaint from students, and postings, etc. are difficult to find and receive. But i especially like your point about the font. it is art school. let's get creative! for that matter, why don't we spice up the whole site. it is a functional tool, and everyone does need to reference it for their classes, but does that mean it doesn't need to be attractive?
ReplyDeletei'm glad to see amanda checked out the customize option. unfortunately, i agree. it doesn't make things much better.