Sunday, March 1, 2009

Web Critique: Stockyard Institute

The Stockyard Institute seems to do some really cool projects having to do with art and education. I love the radio projects--I could see kids getting really into that--and the Howard Arts Lab, a "center for research and teaching that could accommodate the visual arts education candidates and the students of the high school as partners in the development of projects and curricular strategies as a permanent station for Visual Arts Education in Chicago." That would be pretty exciting for us visual arts education candidates, huh? The site says the project has been in effect from 2005 to the present but a Google search of "howard arts lab" turned up nothing, so I'm not sure if it's still in existence.

The urban design of the site reflects their mission of collaborating with Chicago communities, and it's organized in a simple and easy-to-navigate way. I assume they like (and need) funding, just like many similar organizations, so I wonder if they could set up some sort of PayPal-type thing on their site for donations. Right now they just have the main guy's contact information under "Support," which means someone interested in giving them money would probably need to go through multiple steps to donate instead of being able to just click a button.

2 comments:

  1. I like the notion of an 'urban design' for a site. Were there specific elements you were thinking of, Caitlin?

    Also, an interesting point about funding. Mainly run by a single individual who gets a lot of mileage out of the funding he does have, it seems like they definitely could use the easy access funding link. I'm not sure about the Howard Arts Lab bit. I'll see if I can find out more for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also took notice of the 'urban design' comment. That aspect of it got by Artbot when Artbot first looked at it. Artbot will try to notice that type of thing a bit more in future critiques. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete