This site is certainly on the fancier end of ones we've seen so far this semester. When it looks like an experienced web designer had a hand in making a site, I expect it to be well-organized, and this one is. (What a treat after Mess Hall.) But at first I was a little confused--the larger categories of About Us, Programs, Get Involved, and Media are clearly visible across the top, the subcategories in orange bars on the right are not noticeable at all. So when I clicked on About Us and just saw their blog, I initially thought they didn't have a mission statement until I figured out where the subcategories were. The subcategories definitely should stand out more--either as a fly-out menu when you scroll over the main categories, or just bigger and more prominent on the right.
The stop-motion piece, Vroom, is super cute. In general, I'd love to see more info about the projects on the Media section of the site in addition to just the projects themselves. What was the context--did Street-Level go into a school or have kids come to their storefront space? What type of filming and editing training did the kids go through before creating these pieces? How did they determine the subject matter of their assignments--on their own, or through guided assignments by Street-Level?
Search Source
16 years ago
Good point, Caitlin. All too often people forget how important context can be to a piece. And with material like this, not having the supporting documents and information leaves the viewer with a ton of questions. Just getting the media up isn't enough!
ReplyDeletei agree with you about the somewhat hidden column of secondary navigation links. if they just reversed the layout and put the links on the left, i'm sure it would be more noticeable (though it would also be a more common/generic layout). but when novelty (if you can really call right-side navigation novel) sacrifices usability, i vote for traditional/basic/usable.
ReplyDelete