The school district near where I live is considering becoming peanut-free. I've heard parents of kids with peanut allergies take both sides of this debate--some want schools to be peanut-free (this allergy can cause death), but some prefer schools to not make any special rules about peanuts/peanut butter so their kids learn to watch out for themselves, just as they have to do when they're anywhere other than their school or home. I'm not sure which side I'd take if I were a parent of a child with a peanut allergy, but if I felt confident that my kid understood what he could and couldn't eat once he reached school age, I think I might agree with those who don't want peanut-free schools.
Something in the Tribune article about the issue was alarming to me--one school in the district isn't peanut-free, but has a table in the lunchroom especially for students with food allergies. What?! I'm picturing a table full of completely mortified kids who want to disappear because they're at the weirdo allergy table. I remember how important it was to sit with your own friends in elementary school (and middle school...and high school) and I can't imagine those kids being very happy with the way their school deals with their allergies.
Search Source
16 years ago
As someone who knows what it is like to have a severe food allergy, granted I wasn't diagnosed with Celiac disease until adulthood, I often get somewhat uncomfortable when people try to be super accommodating, because of feeling like I'm being difficult and the weird kid, lol. Even though it is something out of my control, for some reason, I feel like I come off as I'm being difficult. I think if I was kid and I had to sit at a special table, I'd be absolutely mortified, since even as an adult I get embarrassed when people ask, "Where do you want to eat?? Because you can't eat anything anywhere."
ReplyDeleteas a parent with a young child, i'm always wondering about these kinds of things, and have encountered the passion of parents on either side of debates (schools, vaccinations, breastfeeding, etc.). it's crazy how intense the arguments can get.
ReplyDeleteI agree the 'peanut free' table seems a bit much. do those poor kids really have to be singled out? i am of the mind that it's important for kids to learn how to watch out for themselves, but of course not all kids are as capable of this. maybe it's something you manage on a case-by-case basis? although that could be a lot of administrative work.